Thursday, November 16, 2006

Oh Give Me a Home . . . Where the Combines Don't Roam




My first reaction was disbelief when I received these photos from a fellow buffalo runner. Seems an area farmer was combining corn when a wheel dipped into a depression . . . a bear's den, with a black bear inside (top photo shows crushed bear). The farmer who discovered the bear said the Illinois DNR told him to shoot the animal. Black bears have been long gone from Illinois, the closest states having wild black bears being Wisconsin and Arkansas. So how can you explain a black bear in a central Illinois cornfield? I'm still not convinced this is real, that the scene was faked. But, I could be wrong. After all, some strange creatures have been sighted in Illinois, including cougars and armadillos. So how come this black bear encounter didn't make the area news? And no one saw a 300-pound bear (this was a small male) roaming around central Illinois? Black bears are primarily nocturnal, so I suppose it's possible that it could remain undetected. I suspect it escaped from someone's holding pen. Afer all, there are untold numbers of exotic animals that are secretly kept. I hope to find out more.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

disturbing

Anonymous said...

I can't believe those assholes are laughin.

Tom Rice said...

A sad sight. Wildlife doesn't have a chance.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. This just makes me sick. There is a child in these photos, too. A wonderful example these idiots are setting. You are right-wildlife definitely does not stand a chance...especially when children are being taught that it is funny to hurt an animal. This is terribly disturbing.

Anonymous said...

They're laughing?!! That's just sad.

Arathi