Monday, October 22, 2007

I'm Not Dead, But I've Been to Heaven

Me and a buddy at Mammoth Hot Springs, headquarters site of Yellowstone National Park.

Yellowstone overwhelmed me. The experience was much greater than I had anticipated. I'm in a daze after seeing hundreds of buffalo and elk, four wolves, five grizzly bears, three coyotes, rock-climbing bighorn sheep, and a bald eagle perched on a tree limb snacking on a fish, all in a magnificent landscape. The moose did a good job of avoiding me, though. I'll be posting more photos and giving you an account of what I did, but I won't bore you with too much text. For now, suffice it to say that it was a kind of spiritual experience. More to come, including how I was held captive by a herd of wild buffalo in the Grand Tetons.

3 comments:

Sara Latta said...

That's so amazing, Tom! But as a volcano/microbiology geek, I have to know: did you visit the thermal features? I'm dying to go back to Yellowstone.

Sara Latta said...

Oh, and maybe you should have donned your buffalo hat while being kept captive by the herd. Maybe they would have shown you some respect!

Tom Rice said...

Hey Sara, I did visit almost all of the geothermal sites. I didn't think I would be that interested in them, but like everything else at Yellowstone, I was awestruck by them. And yes, I should have brought my buffalo hat. I'll give some details about my detention by the Teton herd.