Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Kennekuk on the AT

"Kennekuk" (Grant Cunningham) somewhere in the mountains of Virginia.

Grant Cunningham, the hubby of one of my co-workers, began hiking the Appalachian Trail (AT) in March and intends to do the whole 2,174 miles of the trail stretching from Georgia, where he started, to Maine. THIS blog, maintained by his wife Connie, tells of his progress. Click on the reference to the AT map on the blog; shows the whole trail. Grant estimates it will take him about five months to hike the entire trail, and his attitude is good: if he can't finish the entire thing, no big deal. He'll stop when he's had enough. I'm jealous of his journey. I'm what they call a section hiker of the AT, having done two sections stretching from Harper's Ferry, West Virginia, south through the Shenandoah Valley to Waynesboro, Virginia. I hope to hop on the AT again sometime this year. Grant is a "thru hiker," doing the entire trail in one span. And he has the trail name (most thru hikers have one of these) of Kennekuk, the running club to which both he and I belong. My advice to Grant: Be a buffalo. You will endure.

No comments: