Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Evening on the Treacherous Trace

Running on the Buffalo Trace Trail at Mahomet last evening was like a box of chocolates: you never knew what you were gonna get with the snow and ice-covered trail. I've had enough of running in the streets, so I was determined to run as much as I could. Right at the start I almost went down on icy snow. Occasionally there were spots with no ice or snow and I picked up the pace, but all these ultimately ended into hard crusty snow or ice. At many spots I would have to go completely off the trail for 10-15 feet to avoid ice, running in the tall grass. It was all a very eerie experience because I was the only human out there, the silence broken as I crunched through the hard snow. "Hound of the Baskervilles" went through my mind, a rabid dog on the moors of Mahomet ready to pounce on me. And there were wolves out there who would eat me (Princess, show this to Red Chief and tell him I'm not kidding). I ran almost the entire 5 miles and loved it, although I had to prance back and forth and side to side to navigate the trail.

Moon run Saturday night on this trail. With colder temperatures due for the weekend, ice skates may be proper footwear.

No comments: