Monday, May 07, 2007

This is good for me, this is good for me, this is good for me

That's what I must constantly remind myself as I labor through boring swim laps. Al Morris formerly lived in Champaign and was the first president of our local Second Wind Running Club and director of the U.S. Olympic Sports Medicine Research and Education Site at the University of Illinois. He is currently in Washington, DC, and is director of health improvement and physical fitness for the 10,000 uniformed members of the U.S. Border Patrol. Al has this to say about swimming:

"Unlike running and cycling, which provide aerobic activity benefit but strengthen only some muscle groups, swimming can provide a vigorous total-body aerobic workout. Swimming provides a full-body exercise and is an excellent conditioner for the cardiovascular system. Also, researchers have found that swimmers are injured less often while exercising when compared to runners."

No comments: