Thursday, July 19, 2007

Running and Then Some

The herd at Chilly Chili, 2005

I guess I shouldn't have razzed Devil Dawg and the Mechanic yesterday because their's is just typical buffalo behavior: Do something different. I have run with the herd in knee-deep snow, in thunderstorms, in biting blizzards, on ice, in thigh-deep water and ankle-deep mud. I have run many times with something other than water in my water bottle, such as with the Buffalo Rum Runners at the Siberian Express race, with the buffalo-hatted herd at the Chilly Chili run (where we are always proud to finish last), and sipped on blackberry brandy between loops of the Riddle Run. Those events all take place in January; it's how buffaloes deal with cabin fever. There are also moon runs and other silliness throughout the year, but the buffaloes were born and raised for the premier herd happening: Thursday night runs at the Mahomet trail. It is raining right now, so tonight's trail run will be good and gooey. Bring it on.

4 comments:

Larissa said...

What an awesome group! You are one lucky bison.

Tom Rice said...

Yup, those are my homies, Phoenix. All crazy, all good. I was the first to buy one of the buffalo hats, wearing it at a race on Halloween. At last count more than 40 of the herd owned a buffalo hat. The University of Colorado bookstore must wonder why so many from Illinois have ordered the hats. The Colorado mascot, of course, is the buffalo.

Vickie said...

I found your blog through Phoenix's. I LOVE BUFFALO! LOVE THEM! Had the best time of my life in Yellowstone in early spring right after the babies were born. Spent way too many hours watching, filming, and following them around. (I know enough that they are wild beasts and not tame critters to be messed with!) Your pics of the week are adorable!

Tom Rice said...

Vickie - As you can see by browsing through my blog I am a buffalo fanatic. And I've never been to Yellowstone! Hopefully that will change soon when I finally take a trip out there. I envy your spring trip out there and watching the newborns. What an experience.