Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Bottles Up!



While I'm on this military reminiscences kick, I just had to post these photos. This is how Army MPs celebrated one of their buddies getting orders to go back home. I can't remember any of their names, but the guy in the middle was a giant . . . and crazy, and it was always an interesting time when I was assigned to do patrol duty with him as a partner. He liked to use his bayonet for cutting food. I took these photos at our barracks at DiAn (Zee-on), where I served in the 300th MP Company after transferring from the PBR unit (posted yesterday). DiAn was the base camp for the 11th Armored Cavalry (tanks).

Our barracks formerly housed the First Infantry Division (the Big Red One). The division had more than 3,000 of its brave troops killed in the Vietnam War. I had feelings of pride and deep sadness when I opened an old locker in our barracks and found a sort of yearbook of the First Division. It was full of combat and other photos. I have the book at home.

No comments: