Monday, May 08, 2006

Long Ago and Far Away



The first live buffalo I ever saw was not an American buffalo, but an Asian water buffalo (above). It was amusing to see small herds of these creatures swimming quite well across the Dong Nai River near the village of Cat Lai in Vietnam, where I was assigned to a patrol boat (PBR) as a military policeman in 1970. If you've seen the movie "Apocalypse Now," you've seen our boats. I didn't know much about our unit and its history until I found this. The photo above is me on a barge full of 500-pound bombs in Cat Lai harbor, a major staging area for the shipment of ammunition for much of Vietnam.



1 comment:

SueW said...

I took the photo of the girl riding the buffalo on this blog page. You have taken it without permission from my website, therefor infringing my copyright. Please remove it immediately or I will have to take the matter up with Google.