Tuesday, August 21, 2007

So That's Where He Is

Looking through a high school reunion booklet that lists names, addresses, and occupations of former classmates. Gotta find Phil Shoemaker, a good buddy who I haven't seen since high school graduation in 1967. I spot his name and read the entry "Living in Alaska . . . occupation: master hunting guide . . . flight instructor and Alaskan bush pilot and hunting & fishing guide since 1980 . . . degree in wildlife biology . . . lives on remote 40-acre homestead near Katmai National Park. . ."

Sure enough, after I google his name I find his WEBSITE. A big smile under his Grizzly Adams beard and holding a huge silver salmon. I'll have to e-mail him. This is by far the most unusual occupation listed for my classmates. Another surprise was a fella who used to live a few blocks away from me and went to school with me all the way from kindergarten through high school. A self-described hippie in the 1970s, he is now a pastor. You just never know.

2 comments:

Larissa said...

You should go up there and see him - that place looks awesome!!

Your reunion report was bitter sweet. I'm so sorry about the classmate who took his own life. We can never understand what goes through the mind and heart of another.

Tom Rice said...

yeah, I'm definitely going to contact him soon. This is just too good to pass up. I'm not a hunter but a trip up there just for wildlife viewing with him as a guide would be fantastic.

The more I think about the suicide victim the more curious I get. You're so right though, in such a case we can never understand what goes through the mind and heart of another.