Friday, August 10, 2007

Survival in the Land of Television

One of my favorite TV shows, Survivorman, begins a new season tonight on The Discovery Channel. Les Stroud (above) is the very entertaining host who has himself planted in all sorts of challenging environments without food, water and shelter. He does not have a camera crew with him but carries the camera equipment and films himself. His fire-building and shelter-making skills are especially interesting. Les is a likable and honest "victim" and admits to mistakes he makes while on his survival quest. Will I have the necessary survival skills when Red Chief and I camp out in my back yard in the near future? For example, if we run out of marshmallows to roast over a fire, what do we do? A challenge, to be sure.
http://www.survivorman.ca/

3 comments:

Larissa said...

That looks like a cool show! I like Man v. Wild - but he always has this obvious camera crew which sort of ruins it.

I'll have to check out survivor man.

That backyard camping scenerio has survival situation written all over it. Above all - bring a map and compass and DON'T PANIC!

Tom Rice said...

We could chew on pine cones and collect rainwater . . . but those man-eating raccoons.

Anonymous said...

makes me wish i had cable....

hope you're keeping cool and having fun at Howl. cheers to the herd. -JK