Monday, April 17, 2006

Heaven's Gate and Hell's Bait


Saturday, 2:30 a.m. Out of bed. Ridiculously strong coffee, then on the road at 3:30 with Jay Palaniappan (Jay Pineapple to the Buffalo Nation) to help with the Heaven's Gate aid station at the McNaughton Park trail ultra race near Pekin. While driving, the Pineapple plays Johny Cash. "I like classic country and bluegrass," he says. Jay is from India, but southern India . . . a good old boy.

After feeding and watering a herd of tired, hot runners all day at McNaughton, I tried to nap (no real sleep) after dinner in preparation for running with Chris Migotsky, who was attempting 100 miles on the trail, a daunting task given the terrain, which includes a lot of steep hills, bait from hell for a long-distance runner. The photo above shows last year's McNaughton ultra and a section that requires a rope because it is so tough to get up. This year when I came to this section it was also muddy. By the time I started the trail with Chris around midnight, he had logged 65 miles and was in good spirits. But the body-pounding trail and lack of sleep were slowly taking their toll on Chris as we made our way in thunder, lightning, rain, and, mercifully toward the end, moonlight. The slippery slopes and stream crossings provided plenty of mud and soaked my shoes and socks. I wish I could have done something more for Chris to help him complete his 100 miles, but I knew he was really struggling when his pace slowed and then he sat down in the middle of the trail and said, "I'm whipped." But he went on and completed 75 miles. He didn't meet his goal, but he took the challenge and gave it his best. I was saddened as he sat at Heaven's Gate, dejected and weary. There will be other challenges and he will be there.

For me, the McNaughton trail was erie and melancholy and uplifting. Like at 3 a.m. in the darkness, with thunder and lightning, and the windswept trees making creaking noises and owls hooting and deer racing about in the forest, and Chris trudging along quietly. My thoughts would occasionally wander: being with my kids for Easter dinner the next day, about backpacking the Appalachian Trail with Cassandra (that could be a cakewalk compared to this, but then again I wouldn't have 30 pounds on my back), about just being out out here when I could have been in a cozy bed; but this is getting out and away from the usual, and that's why I embrace it. Running pavement in the city and sitting in my drywall and brick castle just don't make it.

No comments: