Thursday, April 13, 2006

Moon Over My Hammy



Double dip tonight at the Buffalo Trace Trail as the herd does a full moon run and remembers Danielle Rideout's one-eyed hamster, Hammy Hamsterton. Above is a photo of Hammy in his cage. Danielle found the little guy wandering in the street, all wet and depressed, and took him in. Later, Hammy unexpectedly passed away. Danielle stored the little guy in her freezer until he could be given a proper burial at the trail, which would include a tender tribute by buffaloes carrying flowers and beer. He was laid to rest by the parking lot, and a small plaque honors him at the site.

We'll be there tonight, Hammy. From Stephen Vincent Benet's "A Ballad of William Sycamore":

I sleep in my earth like a tired fox,

And my buffalo have found me.

No comments: