Friday, April 07, 2006

Trail Trek




After a weeklong backpacking trek of the Appalachian Trail in November 2001, I knew I had to come back and do another section of the trail. For the photo above, taken on that trip, I propped a camera on a rock and took the shot with a self-timer. I was in the Blue Ridge Mountains in Northern Virginia, and the weather couldn't have been better. Looks like this next trip will be through Virginia's Shenandoah Valley, a 100-mile-long stretch of beautifully forested mountains that has black bears and copperheads (above photos), among many other delights. Bring 'em on. I went solo on the last trip; this time Cassandra, a co-worker and muh bud, will accompany me, sometime in August.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thomas! Nice blog. Your daughter is beautiful and your grandson is adorable.

Been drinking any good red wine lately? :-)

Hugs

Arathi

Tom Rice said...

Hey Arathi
Red wine is always good, and I have been visiting the vineyard a lot lately. It's healthy, you know. Saw your hubby running in my neighborhood a few days ago. My grandson was in the car with me at the time, so he got a glimpse of the original buffalo. I really miss you guys.