Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Yellowstone Dreaming on a Winter's Day

Latest message from the Buffalo Field Campaign: "The mercury hovered around 50 below in West Yellowstone, Montana on January 13th. But, just like any other day, Buffalo Field Campaign staff and volunteers were on the job--monitoring, documenting, educating, and advocating for America's last free-roaming, wild bison. Why do we do it? That's simple: It's the right thing to do for this majestic American icon." What dedication. Wish I could be there.

I think this is going to be the year that I finally travel to Yellowstone to see the big herd and the many other wildlife at the national park. I've been collecting maps, literature and guides for several years. Ideally I would like to pitch a tent in one spot as a base camp and do as many day hikes as I can while I'm there. We'll see what develops.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom,

Glad you hear of your plans to visit Yellowstone. The Park and surrounding lands are, of course, beautiful at all times of year. When you come, be sure to visit with us. We've been here, documenting what happens to the buffalo for the past ten years and would love to show you around the area. For more info on the Yellowstone bison, including video footage and still photos, please visit our website: http:www.buffalofieldcampaign.org.

Tom Rice said...

Dan,

So good to hear from you. I'll definitely take you up on that offer. For you regular Tomfoolery readers, Dan is program coordinator for the Buffalo Field Campaign.